Thursday, June 28, 2012

New Beginnings

A little over one week ago I received "the letter" that changed my life as I once knew it. My current place of employment was purchased by another company. We were told layoffs were inevitable.

I was one of the elect.

Honestly, I wasn't surprised I was chosen. However, I was surprised by the waves of emotion that followed. I've known this was a possibility and I've tried to prepare myself financially and emotionally. What I've come to realize...

You're never fully prepared.

You're never strong enough.

When I tell people I was born and raised in Hawaii, I almost always get the same response..."Oh, you are so lucky! I love the ocean, love the sunsets." This is true, my visit to Maui last year reaffirmed the beauty in both. But, ah...what else was confirmed by that trip, my fear of the ocean.

This past week, I've often found my emotions like the waves of the sea I fear so much. I'm not the best swimmer and there were many times I was tossed by the waves, fear encompassing me. The worst thing you can do when caught in the middle of a wave is panic. You must resist the temptation to panic and fight against the wave. The more you panic, the more short of breath you become. You're responding out of fear and  if you give into that fear, you will drown.

Life is a lot like the waves isn't it. We think life is predictable. It's quite the opposite.

Life is unpredictable.

The only one who knows what is in store for our life is God himself. Yet, we still try to control our destiny.

A man's heart plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps. Proverbs 16:9

I cannot lie, this week has been tough. There have been a few times I have panicked in the waves instead of calmly letting them take me to shore.

What I am learning, is that I will make it not by my strength, but by the Lord's. I've ridden these waves before. As I look back, He has always been faithful. My life has not gone as I have planned, but I have been blessed because I cling to His promise for me.

Plans to prosper and not to harm me, plans to give me hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

When I find myself in a panic, I have faith in Him who awoke and rebuked the wind and said to the sea "Peace, be still!" Mark 4:39

Today I pick up my final paper work and turn in my badge.

Tomorrow, All things are made new.





1 comment:

Desiree Meile said...

Beautiful put. You will concur this new chapter in your life. You have an amazing support system, with a loving family and friends. Embrace this time and your cup will runith over. You are a strong person and will blossom from this test. This is only a speed bump in your life's path.