Monday, October 27, 2008

A Precious Life

~~~Update~~~
To read more about this special day go to Meghan and Carrie's blog.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Today is the anniversary of Ricky's death. His foster mom, Meghan is here with her family. Truthfully, she was the only mother he ever knew. Yesterday at the hospital we had a dedication ceremony of the memorial bench placed outside the hospital a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, I brought my camera, but forgot the batteries. I'll post some pictures later when I get some from Meghan.

It was a beautiful ceremony. Many nurses, respiratory therapist, Meghan's family and close friends were in attendance. Prayers and memories spoken were touching. Many, many tears were shed. As a final tribute we all set of balloons in his honor. Watching them float away, I wondered...could they reach heaven?

This precious little boy touched the hearts of all of us in the NICU, as well of hundreds of people through his website. For all in the NICU Ricky wasn't just your ordinary patient. He spent seven months in our unit, and we grew to love him as one of our own. If you weren't is primary nurse for the day or night, you always stopped by his crib to see his beautiful brown eyes and his toothless grin. We all sang to him, read him stories, and some even watched cartoons with him in the morning. Both day and night someone often rock him to sleep.

The doctors were soon running out of reasons for him to stay, which meant...foster care. Meghan, bless her heart, quickly got approved for her foster care license, and Ricky had a new home. She kept us all informed of his progress via his website and frequent phone calls. He was often admitted back in the hospital with complications. When he was in pediatrics at our hospital we all would visit.

His numerous medical complications began to take its toll on the little guy, ultimately causing his death. What a brave little solider he was. So much suffering for such a little baby.

Anticipating the dedication ceremony, I was consumed with my thoughts. God gives life and he brings it back to Him. What troubled me is understanding "why" He takes the life of an infant, or child loved by so many. I don't understand "why," Ricky, this precious little baby, had to endure so much suffering. Perhaps God couldn't stand to see Ricky suffer, or any other suffer, so He brings them home. After all, isn't our eternal life with God what we yearn for? Freedom from all our pain and suffering here on earth...a life of nothing but pure glory with our Heavenly Father.

Being a NICU nurse I still struggle with understanding the death of a baby. The pain and agony the family goes through just breaks my heart. The one thing that brings me peace is knowing and believing that they are now able to live an eternity with God.

I've realized how precious our life here on earth is, no matter how short. God breathed life into all of us for His purpose. Ricky's purpose in life, touched each and everyone of us differently. Ultimately, we are all truly blessed to have known him. I wonder if he knows how much he touched our lives.





Waking up from a nap.



Seriously people, another test?!





Cutie!





Happy Birthday!







Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.


Psalms 23:4-6

1 comment:

Meghan said...

It was so wonderful to celebrate the bench with all of you... I am incredibly blessed... as Ricky was to know you.