Tuesday, July 21, 2009

An Adventure

My last post indicated I was making some changes. I'm so excited I just had to share.

I've made some changes in my diet. We have started a raw/vegetarian/eating some fish diet. I will say, this truly is an adventure. I had no idea what goes into raw or vegetarian cooking. There is definitely some advanced planning involved, especially if you need to soak nuts or grains.

I have been experimenting with a bunch of different creations, and today with the help two of Jennifer Cornbleet's recipe I made the most fabulous lunch. Even my kids liked it, and that's been tough to do.




This dish is a nut Pate, some fresh mango/ginger salsa from last nights dinner wrapped in green leaf lettuce. (recipe below) It was delicious and full of flavor. I will actually be using some of the Pate to make some sushi for lunch tomorrow. Along with some shredded carrot, red cabbage, and avocado, wrapped in a Nori sheet , I've got my sushi. I want you to know...I LOVE sushi! While I might be missing the traditional sushi, I'm looking forward to trying this tomorrow.

I realize this may not sound good to some of you, but trust me when I say...I feel great, and I enjoy the food. I've learned a lot in the last 14 days and I'm still learning. I've quit drinking coffee and I no longer have that 1-2 glasses of wine every night, and no longer take my bio-identical hormones (which weren't working, even after the four different types). I have been sleeping better, I still have those deadly hot flashes, but not nearly as much as when I was on medication. I'm praying that this will be one of those life time changes that will stick. I'm determined to live healthy and feel the benefits...after all I have grandchildren to play with.

Nut Pate

1 cups soaked raw sunflower seeds

1/2 cup soaked raw pumpkin seeds

1/4 cup soaked raw almonds

4 tablespoons water

2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

1/2 teaspoon sea salt

1/2 teaspoon crushed garlic

Dash of cayenne pepper

3 tablespoons minced red onion

3 tablespoons minced celery

1/2 cup shredded carrot

1/3 cup sun dried tomatoes

3 teaspoons of a herb of your choice ( I used fresh basil)

about 1/2 teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil ( or to taste)

about 1/4 teaspoon Nama Soy Sauce ( or to taste)

Place the nuts, water, lemon juice, salt, garlic and cayenne in a food processor, stopping occasionally to scrape the sides. Add in the rest of the remaining ingredients and process till desired texture. Place in a bowl and add the olive oil and Nama Soy sauce to taste. This will store in the refrigerator for five days.

*for optimum benefits use organic

This is a big batch, remember I feed a family of five. You may have to cut down the recipe to accommodate your family.

The mango salsa is easy to make. Just mix tomatoes, pepper of your choice, cilantro, sea salt, lemon juice in a food processor. Add mango and fresh grated ginger to taste.

Most importantly...Have fun!

3 comments:

LisaShaw said...

Mare,

The dish sounds tasty. Whatever works is what I say as long as you are living a more healthier and fit life in Christ. I'm so excited for you and your family.

When I first came off of certain things the end of 2006 entering 2007 when I began to make serious lifestyle changes I too felt so terrific and I have maintained staying off of those things: Ice cream, white sugar, soda and soy sauce.

I was so hooked on those things it was unreal. I thank GOD for deliverance and from going from 245+ lbs down to low 180's and heading down even still. I can do things now that I could not do before. I feel better than ever.

I pray blessings over you and your family dear one and I think I may try this.

Love ya.

LisaShaw said...

May I share your link to this post on my Living a Fit Life blog?

Unknown said...

Mare - that is one of my favorite dishes. I love making wraps in cabbage leaves! YUMMY mango salsa!

You are doing a great job!!!!!

I'm so excited for you and your family!

Lots of love,
Jill