Friday, July 31, 2009

The Shepherd

Last Sunday the sermon was on Psalm 23. I haven't been able to think of much else this week. Funny thing is, I've heard this Psalm read many times, especially during a funeral. But, as I reflect on it this week and the message of my Pastor, something beautiful has unfolded.

I've mentioned here that, we have changed our diet. Today, my husband and I started a cleansing, a detox. We both want to be healthy and rid ourselves of all the harm we've done to our bodies over time. I believe this Psalm will carry me through this process. I know, it will not be easy...trust me when I say I got a "taste" of it this morning when I started. What I am certain of is this is the Lords will for my life, otherwise He would not have lead me in this direction.

1 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.

Websters defines shepherd as one who tends sheep. And the meaning of the word tend...to watch over.

"I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me- just as the Father knows me and I know the father-and I lay down my life for the sheep." John 10:14-15

You see, the Lord is my shepherd...He owns me, He knows me, He watches over me, He cares for me, He provides for me. Therefore, I shall not want. It's important for me to be satisfied with His provisions for me, because they will always be perfect because He knows exactly what I need. It may not be what I want, but that isn't important. What's important is knowing that I can trust His provisions for my life.

2 He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters.

He provides a place of rest for me and calms my storms, helping me find a sense of strength through Him. Again, it's all about trust.

3 He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name’s sake.

Think about this verse for a moment. In my fallen nature, He rebuilds me. Wow, He creates multiple opportunities for me to seek Him. Just like a father leading his child through a crowd, He creates a path for me...leading me to somewhere safe. When I decide to take short cuts, he redirects my path...it's all up to me to trust and follow.

4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; For You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.

When I read this verse, I think of a dark valley....my depression, often leads me to this valley. Here's the thing...He protects me! How do I know, how does anyone know? Believe me when I say, it is when you're broken...you know, you feel His presence. He leads you out of that valley. Again, you must trust and follow...He knows what you need, He will provide and protect. His love never fails!

5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; My cup runs over.

Even in the presence of our enemies, we can still be blessed. Why, because He will always win over the enemy! For me, often the enemy is in my mind. Satan places such foolish thoughts, controlling thoughts in my head, it wears me out physically, emotionally and mentally. The wonderful thing is...He delivers me! He defends and protects me, He will never forsake me...It's all about trust!

6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me All the days of my life; And I will dwell in the house of the LORD Forever.

This verse confirms His undying love for me. Sinful as we all are, Jesus died and made a way for me, for you, to live with Him forever! Ask yourself this question...would you be willing to let your child die to save the world, your enemies? God has given ALL an opportunity at eternal life.

"I am the good shepherd." The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. John 10:11

This Psalm is all about trust. How much do you trust Him?



8 comments:

Unknown said...

AMEN!

Beautiful post!

He will get you both through this cleanse!

Hold onto His promises!

He is faithful!

Love and blessings - Jill
Who is so proud of you both!

Sarah said...

Sweet one, It's been awhile since I have been able to visit. Silly internet, but if I stay up way to late, I can visit some of my favorite places. Reading this post tonight is worth every bit of sleep.

Blessings for your day,
Sarah dawn

Sarah said...

For some reason I lost you on my blogger panel. Still learning how to do this thing, but I think I fixed it and am following again. I love reading all that God is doing in you and through you.

Hugs,
Sarah Dawn

Kelly @ Sufficient Grace Ministries said...

Love this, Mare...thank you for sharing it...

And thank you for your sweet comment last week...

Carol said...

I enjoyed your post. Psalm 23 is such a wonderful discription of how God looks after us.

Hope your cleanse goes well. I'll be starting mine soon!!

Bye for now.
Carol

Anonymous said...

That is really cool. I was actually at my Aunt & Uncle's Church recently and I had a similar message! It was so amazing to learn!

-Emily

LisaShaw said...

You were on my heart...stopped by to love on you. Praying for you. Hold on to the LORD Mare. He won't fail you.

Aunt Angie said...

Mare...I love this post...

I am going to e-mail you, Lisa Shaw gave me your address. Hope you don't mind. :)

Blessings on you and your little family.