Saturday, February 27, 2010

The best things about homeschooling...

Are these two!
Two teenage brothers diligently doing their school work and helping each other. They're not confined to a school desk, instead they comfortably sit on the floor of their home, free to learn in ways that are best suited for them. Each are doing separate grade assignments, but oddly enough, they help each other.

These are teenagers folks. I'm amazed by how well they work together. Believe me, the do have their moments, but, when we are learning...there is unity.

I love the freedom I have with homeschooling. I can choose my learning material, based on their individual learning grades and learning style.

Homeschooling is not easy...there are lesson plans, papers to grade and record, all of which take up a lot of time. But, it's well worth it.

I've been homeschooling now for about three years. I first started out with computer based learning, not the best for our family. What I found happening, was my children spent so much time on the computer (not just on their subjects), we lost touch of each other. With the help of a very good friend, I was able to find many great Christian based resources available for more of a connected learning with my boys.

The result, what I love most of all...valuable time with my boys, not just staring at the back of their heads as they are on the computer (smile). Together we share our meals, our ideas, laughter, fellowship, and their hopes and dreams for their future.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That is awesome!

I'm so happy to hear you are enjoying homeschooling together!

There are amazing resources out there and the best part is the majority are FREE!

Love you!
Jill

Meghan said...

Ugh... :) Did my husband talk you into writing this post?? :) Seems the Lord is convincing me there just might be a good thing for our family is well.

I hate it when I don't get my way. :) ;) ;)

Love to see what a blessing it has been for your family as well. So encouraging. Keep up the good work!! :) I love you!!