Monday, August 18, 2008

"A Holiday"


I have been so frustrated and discouraged lately, I decided it was time for "A Holiday."
I got on the earliest flight and came to spend some time with my oldest daughter, her husband, and my grandchildren.

As I sat on the plane, I couldn't help but remember the first time I flew to see them. Just thinking about it brought a smile to my face and a little chuckle only I could hear. I'd like to share the story of my first plane trip here.

Anxious and excited I boarded the plane. I was one of the last ten or so people to board, which put me towards the back of the plane. I sat on the isle seat. My neighbor, a gentleman in the window seat. After carefully putting my things under the seat, I was just about to listen to my iPod when the flight attendant began her spiel.

Wahwah wahwah...wait, did she say Boise. In a panic, I turned to the gentleman next to me saying, "I'm on the wrong plane!" I quickly scooped up my things and headed for the door, which they hadn't closed yet. (Thank goodness) I actually got off the plane, was at the entrance to the runway, when the woman who took our boarding passes asked me what was wrong. Still in a panic I replied, "I got on the wrong plane, could you tell me where the plane is... departing from...?" I handed her my ticket. Ma'am, you're on the right plane, with one stop in Boise. WHAT!?

I run down the runway, the door was still open, whew! Humbly, I explained to the flight attendant, "apparently, this is the right flight after all." I could feel the redness in my face. Trying to avoid eye contact, I quickly found a seat. Again without eye contact, placed my things under the seat, put my earplugs in and took a deep breath. With a sly glance to the right I noticed I was sitting next to the same gentleman. Feeling the need to justify my actions, I preceded to explain, that I don't hear very well and went into a panic mode. (I left panic mode out) I am now so embarrassed, I just want to duck in my seat, blend with my surroundings.

The flight was nice, about an hour. Once we landed, again the flight attendant started talking. For those of you without a hearing deficit, over a microphone this is what everything sounds like to the hearing impaired....Wahwah Wawah. You know, like the teacher in Charlie Brown. Having no clue as to what she just said, I turn to the gentleman and politely ask, "what did she just say?" With a very serious look on his face he said "STAY ON THE PLANE!" I'm so embarrassed.

Once the plane was nearly empty I noticed people moving from the back of the plane to the front. Good idea, I gathered my things and preceded to the front of the plane where I was met by a flight attendant. Hands out in front of her in the stop position, she said, "Ma'am, STAY ON THE PLANE!" Another embarrassing moment! I arrived at my destination on time, leaving quite an impression and I'm sure a topic of conversation for all involved.

Yes, I remembered this trip to stay on the plane. It has been a great trip so far. I got to play with my grandchildren my first night here. They really have grown. I have a little difficulty understanding the little ones. Sounds a lot like the flight attendant... Wahwah wahwah! Logan my grandson, even made a comment when my daughter was trying to tell me something I failed to respond to. "She can't hear you", he said... I had to laugh.


I am having a nice time. The first night I spent playing with the kids. The following day, my daughter and I spent some one on one time at her mother-in-laws home in the mountains. We watched a movie, ate and ate. We really had a great time. I miss spending time with her.




Happy moments.







Out boating.

Yummy!




First night, cooking with their play kitchen set.


Mother & Daughter night...beautiful sunset.



No comments: