Monday, December 28, 2009

No more sorrow, no more pain...

A few weeks ago I asked for your prayers for a very special little guy. Early this morning he went to his heavenly home.

I thought yesterday was going to be like every other day at work...I would get to cuddle with this cutie, watch him as he would bat at his little mobile, and try my best to get a giggle out of him. Although he didn't giggle, he had this toothless grin that warmed my heart. He would smile from the corner of his mouth, and often smacked his tongue as he tried to imitate my kisses.

When I arrived at work and saw how this little guy look...I just knew things weren't right. I tried my best to be the "nurse," but all the while my heart was hurting.

It was a long twelve hours involving lab work, cool baths to bring down his temperature, holding, singing...praying. No smiles for me this day, just a quiet calm stare. He was awake the entire shift, but looked so tired. Even a visit from his mom couldn't bring on a smile(he always smiles for her), just this look.

It was very difficult for me to leave at the end of my shift. I felt like I had more to do for him, but had no idea what that would be, as I knew he was in good hands. I asked to be called if anything should happen. (As a nurse in the NICU, you sometime just can't leave your work behind). On my drive home I prayed...Heavenly Father, please give this little guy some rest. He looks so weary and tired. At the same time, one of my favorite songs, I Will Rise by Chris Tomlin was playing on the radio.

That night as I tried to sleep, the same song was playing over and over again in my head. I woke before 1am with those lyrics running through my mind. The phone rang shortly after 1 with the news...I just couldn't believe it, another little NICU boy I have grown to love has gone to heaven.

Immediately after Ricky's death I felt such anger at God...why didn't you do something? When I got the news of this little guy early this am, I felt the same way. Wiping my tears, I got dressed and headed down to the hospital to say goodbye. On my drive the same song was playing. As I heard the words...

There's a peace I've come to know
Though my heart and flesh may fail
There's an anchor for my soul
I can say "It is well"

I suddenly had my answer...

As I held, rocked, and hummed this song to this little guy, I realized for him there will be No more sorrow, no more pain. He has risen on eagles wings.

I will miss him terribly, but I know together with Ricky they are singing praises with the angels.

I thank all of you for your prayers, if you would continue to pray for the family and the staff in our NICU, I would greatly appreciate it. I also want to take a moment to mention how wonderful it is to work with such a great crew. So many have been touched by this little guys life, not just the nurses...the respiratory therapist, the unit clerks, the volunteers, the housekeepers, and even the other families who have caught a glimpse of that grin.

I wish I knew how to download the song from You Tube...can't figure it out.
Here is the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvrBQL8swLI

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Mare - I'm sorry for the loss and how it hurts you deeply!

God was there. Right there and was waiting to bring him home. He knew what was best. He didn't do it to hurt but to stop the hurting and to bring about His love. His love is what touched all of the people this little boy smiled at. We only see one very small piece of the grand picture. God's ways are so much higher than ours and He doesn't make one single mistake - and His motive for everything is love.

Even when it doesn't feel like it - go back to Philippians 4:4-9 and pray that with all of your heart! Peace and joy will be yours forever!

I love you!
Jill

Jenilee said...

so sorry... I just found your blog... it is well is one of my favorite songs. such strength in being able to say it is well. putting full trust in our amazing God. God Bless.

Meghan said...

Hey there... I'm so sorry I've not been able to respond to this until now. The holidays kept me farther from the computer than I like!!

Nevertheless, I have been praying for you all... knowing so much of the heartache that you must feel... What a blessing it was, for that little boy to have you as his nurse... not just any nurse - but one who knows the Heavenly Father who now holds him, and one who did not guard her heart so tightly that she could not give him the opportunity to know pure love and sacrifice.

It's a risky thing - allowing yourself to love those who are sick. Allowing someone to become a part of your heart who may not be here tomorrow... it's not something everyone can do. But he deserved that from you - and others. You made his short life full... and now he is complete.

Love you... and hang in there...

LisaShaw said...

So sorry precious sister for the loss of this precious little one.

Our loss of him here is heaven's gain...I'm sure he deeply impacted all his life touched.

Love and prayers...

LisaShaw said...

You were on my heart...praying the peace of God which passes all understanding to rest with your entire family. Love you.

LisaShaw said...

Hi precious,

Thank you for your comment on my blog two days ago and for being so encouraging and loving. I came on by to tell you that I am praying for you and your family Mare. You are VERY special to the LORD and His eye is upon you. You and your family are in His Hands and what a great place to be. I love you and I'm praying for you. Stand in Him.